Saturday, March 20, 2010

Testimony (from May 2005)

Our Stake has recently been admonished to bear "Pure Testimony"
frequently, taking a cue from the October 2005 General Conference talk
of Elder M. Russell Ballard. This suggestion includes learning more
about the function of bearing Testimony. I had a good friend in
college who talked of rating testimonies each month, whether the
bearer's words qualified as a "real" Testimony or not. One danger in
scrutinizing this uniquely LDS phenomenon is that we start judging the
testimonies of others and disdaining them as inadequate. In the
sincere Spirit of avoiding that evil I offer some observations.

I had the opportunity to meet one on one with our Stake President in
preparation for our Ward Conference and we discussed in some detail
this topic, partly because my own understanding was not clear. He was
trying to prepare me for our first Ward Conference four days later and
wanted to make sure that the Bishop understood this concept and could
set an appropriate example for the ward. I believe I learned something
from that meeting that I would like to share.

There are two areas of my Testimony bearing that I have changed since
this instruction. I learned something that I'm sure must have been
pointed out to me before: The Holy Ghost bears Testimony of Gospel
principles. Thus, while it may be true and good that I love my wife
and family, it is really not part of a Testimony. Also, saying you
love the Savior or are deeply grateful for his sacrifice are not
actually bearing witness of Him. We should spend the valuable time we
have in Testimony meetings bearing pure Testimony to invite that
strong Spirit and edify everyone. Children and people who are immature
in the Gospel may not understand all of the words and concepts. But,
they will recognize the Spirit.

I explained to the Stake President probably by way of rationalization
that I often felt I needed to relate an anecdote or some Gospel
related story to work myself into the Spirit so I could bear my
Testimony. I explained that most people were probably following that
same pattern for the same reason. The President taught me that is not
the "job" of the Testimony bearer. His job is to open his mouth and
allow the Spirit to come. Anecdotes and uplifting spiritual accounts
are more a characteristic of a proper talk.

We recently studied the gifts of the Spirit in our Gospel Doctrine
classes. I believe that a Testimony and the ability to invoke the
Spirit through bearing a Testimony, are gifts of the Spirit. It is one
of the most important and sacred things we can do together. If we set
out to do it and try to "do the Spirit's job for him," we are denying
the Gift of God. In the "old" entrenched pattern the speaker usurps
the Spirit's function by trying to "bring" the Spirit with a nice
story.

I learned that a lot of what we hear in our Fast and Testimony
meetings we could actually hear in most other churches as well. Let us
step up to our task and do that which we are uniquely enabled to do
because of the Gift of the Holy Ghost and because of our Testimonies.
That is literally to be bathed in the Spirit in a way similar to the
occasion of King Benjamin's famous discourse and Christ's appearance
to the Nephites.

I took a look back at the talks of the Apostles at the October 2004
General Conference. I found that in the closing/Testimony portion of
their talks they rarely use the phrase "I know." It is most common for
them to simply state the facts. We refer to D&C 46:13-14 (To some it
is given by the Holy Ghost to know that Jesus Christ is the Son of
God, and that he was crucified for the sins of the world. To others it
is given to believe on their words, that they also might have eternal
life if they continue faithful.) and make a distinction between
believers and knowers. I would guess that there are many who feel
inadequate in their Testimony because of this distinction. This is
unfortunate because the scripture clearly states that each is a gift
from God, not one above another. It very well may be that many who
feel inadequate would be able to bear a strong Testimony, and be
edified by doing so, if they had a better idea what it entails and
what the bearer's function is. I now refrain from using the words "I
know." Let me be clear, it is important to know and it is important
for us to be assured of one another's testimony. But, let's not allow
it to be a hurdle that hinders Gospel growth.

Now, often when I hear the phrase "I know" in a Testimony, it can
almost be a distraction. It can sound to me as if the bearer is trying
to convince me that he has a Testimony. That seems almost tangential
and beside the point. As a bishop, of course I care if someone has a
Testimony or not. But, in a Fast and Testimony meeting the point is to
bear witness of God the Father, his Son Jesus Christ, and the Holy
Ghost, to testify of the Atonement of Jesus Christ and of his role as
Savior and Redeemer, and to declare the restoration of the Gospel in
these the Latter Days. Convincing the congregation that you have a
testimony is secondary.

While it is not necessary to go beyond the facts, it may be helpful to
the audience. If you were called to be a witness at a trial and said,
"I know the defendant is innocent" a good judge or attorney would make
you explain how you knew. What makes you a credible witness? Well, I
have read the book and it rings true. I have felt the sweet Spirit
that its study brings. I have seen the fruits of living its principles
in my life.

To summarize and reinforce:
Stay on point, stick to Gospel principles especially core Gospel principles;
Your job is to open your mouth and let the Spirit flow;
State the Facts;
If you feel inclined, tell us how you were led to your conviction; and
Sit down, Let someone else do the same.

Since coming to a greater understanding of this great lesson I have
enjoyed much more the opportunity to bear Testimony. I have felt the
Spirit more and my Testimony has been strengthened. I see this gift as
one of our most important duties as members of the Church. We have
been taught for years that bearing your Testimony strengthens it. I
have found this to be true.

I spoke to the Priesthood Brethren and the Relief Society some weeks
ago on this topic prior to our Fast and Testimony meeting. I could
tell that some of the members were afraid to make an attempt after my
remarks. This saddened me somewhat. But, there were several who seemed
to have taken my ideas to heart and who bore powerful testimonies. One
sister in particular followed the pattern set by our Church leaders
and bore one of the strongest and most inspiring testimonies I have
ever heard.

It is true that we are beset with years of habit and tradition. People
who are speaking spontaneously and from the heart rarely have the
presence to say exactly what they want to say in the way they mean to
say it. Also, it is difficult for little children to learn these
concepts instantly. We can teach them correctly and let them take baby
steps to get where they ought to be. I can assure you that if we
follow the pattern of the Apostles and the admonition of our leaders
we will be strengthened and when we bear Testimony we will be the true
witnesses of the Gospel that we are meant to be.