Friday, September 09, 2011

911 Memorial on 16 Sep 2001

Hillcrest Ward  16 Sep 2001

My Shepherd will supply my need; Jehovah is his name;
In pastures fresh he makes me feed, beside the living stream.
He brings my wandering spirit back, when I forsake his ways,
and leads me for his mercy's sake, in paths of truth and grace.

When I walk through the shades of death, thy presence is my stay;
One word of they supporting breath drives all my fears away.
Thy hand, in sight of all my foes, doth still my table spread;
My cup with blessings overflows, thine oil anoints my head.

The sure provisions of my God attend me all my days;
O may thy house be mine abode and all my work be praise!
There would I find a settled rest while others go and come,
no more a stranger nor a guest; but like a child at home.

--Isaac Watts--

In the ninth through the fourteenth chapters of Alma in the Book of Mormon, Alma the Younger and Amulek preach to the people of Ammonihah.  After several chapters of the best doctrinal preaching we can find in the scriptures some of the people of Ammonihah are converted. The unbelievers cast out the converted and then subject their wives and children to death by fire. When Alma and Amulek are brought forth to witness the scene they are greatly pained. Amulek wants to use their power to save the innocent. But, Alma is restrained and tells Amulek that the martyrs are received up unto the Lord in glory.

I believe that the mass of humanity who passed through the veil together Tuesday morning were greeted with tides of Joy and Hope and Release that many times overshadowed the horror and vulnerability and despair that we felt as we watched those buildings crumble.

There can be no doubt of the level of anguish our Heavenly Father feels at such times:  "And the king was moved, and went up to the chamber over the gate, and wept: and as he went, thus he said, O my son Absalom, my son, my son Absalom! would God I had died for thee, O Absalom, my son, my son!" (2 Samuel 18:33)

God can prevent senseless loss of life and suffering and often does. We constantly solicit and enjoy the covering of his almighty protection. He does not always step in to shield us from the machinations of a temporal world.

"But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed."  (Isaiah 53:5)

The origin of the word in Semitic languages that most often is used to communicate the concept of the Atonement refers to an ancient custom in which one fleeing for his life in the desert would seek refuge in the tent of a great sheik by crying out "I am thy suppliant". Whereupon, the Lord would accept the suppliant with symbolic embrace by placing the hem of his robe over the shoulder of the kneeling guest and declare him under his protection. (Nibley, Approaching Zion)

Thus Nephi declares  "The lord hath redeemed my soul from hell; I have beheld his glory, and I am encircled about eternally in the arms of his love" (2 Nephi 1:15) and "O lord, wilt thou make a way for me to escape before mine enemies!'" (2 Nephi 4:33).

Following this analogy further, when we invite others to come unto Christ, we enlarge the borders of Zion, adding "stakes" to her "tent", increasing the circumference of her skirt, bringing more children to seek protection from the "covering" of the atonement.

In times of despair the Gospel gives up hope. But, hope of what? The hope of glory and resurrection, of an inheritance with God. No more a stranger, nor a guest, but like a child at home.

When Aaron teaches the father of Lamoni, the King of the Lamanites, it seems the point at which the kings decides to put to test the words of Aaron is when he is taught that "...since man had fallen (he) could not merit anything of himself; but the sufferings and death of Christ atone for their sins, through faith and repentance, and so forth; and that he breaketh the bands of death, that the grave shall have no victory, and that the sting of death should be swallowed up in the hopes of glory..."

This is nearly the same concept that Paul strives to teach to the Saints in the New Testament.

Colossians 1:26-27

"Even the mystery which hath been hid from ages and from generations, but now is made manifest to his saints: To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hopes of glory:"

1 Thessalonians 5:8

"But let us, who are of the day, be sober, putting on the breastplate of faith and love; and for an helmet, the hope of salvation."

The despair and grief of the passing week can only be overcome by the fruits of the Gospel, the hope of glory and resurrection through faith in Christ.

When we come to this realization and conversion then we can be led to exclaim as Paul:

" For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord."

(Romans 8:38)

May we seize upon the clarity and galvanization produced by these events and help others to come unto Christ through the prospect of the great hope of glory and resurrection and an inheritance with God that is its greatest gift.

And though this world, with devils filled, should threaten to undo us,
We will not fear, for God hath willed His truth to triumph through us.
The prince of darkness grim, We tremble not for him; His rage we can endure,
For lo! his doom is sure; One mighty word shall fell him.

That word above all earthly powers. No thanks to them, abideth;
The Spirit and the gifts are ours Through Him who with us sideth;
Let goods and kindred go, This mortal life also; The body they may kill:
God's truth abideth still; His kingdom is forever.

--Martin Luther--