Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Cycling 2013

2013 was a very good year for my cycling. This sport seems to be one that even older guys can do pretty well in.

At the beginning of the year I set some goals. Mainly, I wanted to go faster than before. And mainly, I figured I would accomplish that if I included some more climbing in my rides. That almost seems counter-intuitive, because you go slower when you climb (even when you include the subsequent donwhill, at least I do). But, I theorized that the climbing would make me stronger. I think it worked.

I had my second highest year mileage total at 4041.99 with an average speed of 19.83. And I did the most climbing with 92,818 feet of climbing.

I would have liked to break 20 mph for the year, and for a while I thought I did. Then I realized that Bike Journal doesn't figure the monthly and yearly ave speed correctly. My speed throughout the year goes in an arc that starts low and then gets highest in July through October, even into November. It came down a little right at the end.

I had seven top ten solo rides in speed this year. Now all of my top 10 rides are over 22 mph. My best average speed for a month was September 2013 with 21.3 Mph in just over 400 miles.

Other noteables:

I had a streak of 843.31 miles from 3 September to 27 November where my average speed stayed over 21 mph.

I had 29 rides in a row over 20 mph from 3 September to 2 November (719.33 miles).

I had 4 rides in a row over 21 mph (103.01 miles) 9 through 12 July.

Between 27 May and 29 June I rode every available riding day, 5 weeks straight.

I was stung by bees 4 times this year. Three while on the bike or shortly after ending the ride, most likely passengers I picked up along the way. And once at the beach in San Clemente. That more than doubled my total lifetime bee stings. I thought that was kinda weird.